Traditionally, lunch is the middle meal of the day when we eat three squares. Since you’re trying to lose weight without starving yourself, experts recommend that you eat several smaller meals, so consider lunches, your daytime meals.
Obviously, you can have sandwiches on whole wheat bread, of course! Be sure anything you put between those two pieces of bread is lean and diet-friendly. Tuna is a great and filling sandwich, but lean roast beef, no-fat cheese, and chicken salad is also a good sandwich.
You can also opt for the traditional salad. Make sure you don’t top it with anything that will sabotage your weight loss efforts. That means no cheese (unless its non-fat or low-fat), bacon bits, croutons, or garbanzo beans – and no dressing unless its light. Try some lemon juice instead. Its refreshing and delicious!
But there are other meals you can have during the day that are much more substantial meals you can have. Try some of these recipes!
Cool Taco Salad
lean ground beef
1 tbsp water
2 tsp. taco seasoning mix, divided
2 whole wheat pitas
2 tbsp reduced-fat cream cheese, room temp
2 tbsp fat-free sour cream
2 tbsp salsa
1 c shredded lettuce
1 diced tomato
c reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In medium skillet, brown ground beef over medium heat until done. Drain off any fat. Add water and 1 tsp taco seasoning and simmer for 3 minutes. Removed from heat and set aside to cool slightly.
3. Cut each pita into 8 wedges and place on baking sheet. Bake for 7 minutes or until lightly browned.
4. While the beef is cooling, combine the remaining taco seasoning, cream cheese, sour cream, and salsa in a small bowl. Mix well. Divide and spread this mixture evenly onto 2 small plates.
5. Spoon a portion of the beef over the sour cream mixture and top each with half the lettuce, tomato, and cheese.
6. Place 8 baked pita wedges on each plate.
Chicken Pita Pizza
1 whole wheat pita
low fat pizza sauce
1 portion cooked chicken breast sliced
red bell pepper sliced
yellow bell pepper sliced
small zucchini, sliced
reduced-fat shredded mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Place the pita on a baking sheet. Spoon pizza sauce evenly over the pita. Top with sliced chicken, peppers, zucchini and cheese.
3. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the pizza is heated through.
4. Slice and eat!
Egg Salad Sandwich
4 hard boiled eggs
1 tbsp fat free salad dressing (Miracle Whip)
1 tbsp mustard
stalk sliced celery
chopping red bell pepper
1 tsp pickle relish
1 tbsp fresh parsley
1 slice whole grain bread
1 lettuce leaf
1. Chop 1 whole egg and discard the yolks from the other 3 eggs and chop the whites.
2. In a small mixing bowl, combine all ingredients except the bread, lettuce leaf, and avocado.
3. Toast the bread and place on a small plate. Top with lettuce, egg salad and avocado slice.
Oriental Chicken Salad
4 portions cooked chicken (about 1 lb.) in bite size pieces
1 bag coleslaw mix
4 chopped green onions
2 tbsp light sesame oil
1/3 c rice vinegar
c lite soy sauce
tsp ground ginger
1 c crisp chow mein noodles
1. In large mixing bowl, combine cooked chicken, coleslaw mix, and green onions.
2. In small bowl, combine sesame oil, rice vinegar, soy sauce, and ginger. Drizzle over chicken mixture and toss to coat.
3. Divide into 4 portions and top with chow mein noodles.
Mile High Baked Potato
1 medium russet potato
2 tsp fat-free chicken broth
low fat cottage cheese
chopped cooked chicken
1 tbsp chopped cilantro
1. Pierce potato several times with fork. Place in microwave and cook on high 5-8 minutes until tender. Let stand 1 minute.
2. Use knife to cut an in the top of the cooked potato. Press ends slightly to open potato and pour chicken broth into opening.
3. Top potato with cottage cheese, chicken, broccoli, and salsa. Place filled potato in microwave and cook on high for 30 more seconds.
4. Sprinkle top with fresh cilantro.